Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Easy Sandwich Bread











I promise it's easy. It's also quick, which is how I cam up with the recipe. I needed some bread & I had 2 hours to have it complete. If I'm being honest, I was pretty shocked that this bread turned out. There's so much chemistry involved in baking that I'm always hesitant to mess with my own recipes, but if you never try you never create new stuff, right? So, here we go...

Ingredients:
1 cup minus 2 tbsp warm water
1 package of yeast
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp molasses
1 tbsp oil (corn or vegetable)
Approx 3 cups of flour (white, wheat, a combo, whatever you like should work)

Put the yeast in the warm water & set aside to bloom while you get the rest of the ingredients together.
In a bowl (a mixer is nice, but not a must) combine the salt, molasses, oil, 2 cups of flour, and the yeast/water.
While mixing, slowly add as much of the last cup of flour as needed. (Add flour until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.) It's really sticky because of the molasses, so it won't act quit like "normal" bread dough.
Form into a ball & leave it alone for 10 minutes.
On a floured counter top, knead for about 5 minutes.
Put the dough in a greased loaf pan & push it out to the shape of the pan.
Let the dough rise until doubled, 30-45 minutes.
Bake at 350* for 30 minutes.
Turn the bread out & let cool on a cooling rack.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Yum - I may have to try this!