Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Granola!




















When it finally occurred to me that granola is "just" oatmeal (yes, I was slow about realizing that) it dawned on me just how much money I was wasting buying it. Even if I did buy it from the bulk bins. So, I have been on a quest to not only create the perfect granola recipe, but also the perfect granola bar recipe. The quest for the perfect granola bar is still going, but I may share some of the creations so far. Luke has enjoyed most of them at least. The granola recipe I am giving you is open to variety - the sky is the limit. It's sooo yummy like I do it, but I'm giving you a few suggestions if you want to change it up.

Now for today's recipe - Granola!
You can double or triple this recipe if you want, but this is a "basic" amount, if you make it weekly-ish.
Ingredients:
2 cups oats (NOT the instant or quick oatmeal stuff, the good old OATS that make oatmeal (and cookies, and muffins, and breads, and bars...)
2 tbsp butter (or oil if you prefer - weirdo!)
1 tsp cinnamon (not everyone like cinnamon as much as I do, you could cut it in half or even omit it)
1/2 tsp vanilla (or any other liquid flavor - maple, coconut, almond...)
3 tbsp (packed AND heaping) brown sugar
2 tbs honey (or agave nectar - and peanut butter or tahini should work too!)
----
Preheat the over to 300*.
Put the oats in a bowl (big enough to mix the other stuff into).
In a skillet (you should hear my son say that word - HILARIOUS!) on the stove, mix the butter, cinnamon, vanilla, brown sugar, and honey while heating over med-low heat.
Keep stirring & heating until the mixture is pretty liquidy (I don't think that's a word, huh?) & the sugar is starting to dissolve. Don't cook it too long or it might start to crystallize.
Pour the liquid into the oats & stir until they are well coated. It might seem like there isn't enough liquid - just keep stirring!
Spread the oat mixture on a cookie sheet/pan. I prefer to line it with parchment paper for ease of removal & clean up. :)
Cook for 30-40 minutes total. Be sure to stir the mixture up at least once (every 10 minutes is ideal, but I live in the real world...).
Oh - did I mention - make this right before you have company. Not because you're gonna share, but because it will make your house smell really good!
Once it cools, the granola will be crunchy & yummy & ready to eat! ...OR... you can add nuts, dried fruit, or whatever else you like to it, then eat it. (Dried cranberries + walnuts are my favorite addition.)

No comments: