Sunday, March 8, 2009

Strawberry Blueberry Muffins



















This recipe will make 8 "normal" sized muffins.
Muffin Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup vegetable (or canola) oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk (I use whole, but you can use whatever you have in the fridge)
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup fresh strawberries (or 2+ cups of whatever fruit you like)
----
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Use muffin cups or spray the muffin pan really well. This is a really sticky batter.
Mix the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
Mix the oil, egg and milk together.
Mix the wet stuff with dry stuff.
Fold in berries. Be careful! Too much manipulation will hurt the batter and it will break the berries. Fold nicely!
Throw out anything you ever learned about only filling the muffin cups 1/2 to 3/4 full. Fill them to the top. All the way. It will be okay. I promise.
--------------------
Topping (optional, if you want to cut calories skip it!):
1/4 cup sugar (white or brown will work, use whatever you like most)
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (more or less to taste)
----
Mix ingredients together.
*The butter needs to be room temp.* (wanna know a secret? I NEVER put that much planning into my baking, so I stuck the butter in the microwave at a low temp (3) and nuked it for about 15 seconds.)
Mix with fork, I just do a mush/chop combo until it's all combined & lumpy.
Sprinkle it on top of the muffins.
Don't add too much or you'll weigh the muffins down, but don't add too little or you'll miss out on the yummy goodness! ;) This recipe should make just enough for the 8 normal sized muffins you have. If you're making bigger or smaller muffins, I'm not sure how the recipe works out so just be careful.
Bake for about 20 minutes. At least check it at 20 minutes, add a little more time as needed but don't burn it. Your house is gonna smell soooo good, you don't want to miss out on eating these!

7 comments:

Bettina said...

YUM!!!

Holly said...

WOW those look great, we may have to give them a try

Dawn Endres said...

mmm! I'll have to make these for my next playdate/get-together!

katie said...

Just stuck these in the oven - and YUM they smell amazing! can't wait to try!!!

Karoger said...

Great recipe! I am making them now :) But I didn't have butter for the topping, only margarine so it was a bit too soft :(

Leah & Fran said...

Ours didn't look anything like this. And we made 22 out of this exact recipe. They weren't the best things we have ever tasted but they were nice. But thanks for the recipe anyway. K then. Bye.

SierraMom said...

I love this recipe because it's a great basic recipe that you can change and modify as you like. First, I used applesauce instead of oil (it comes out super moist and does not taste like apples). I also used 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 regular white flour. They were perfect! So yummy I ate 3 and my toddler ate 2! Thanks again. I'm currently trying your recipe with canned pumpkin and blueberries...we'll see!